Tuesday, January 04, 2005

The Power of the Pickle

Where should I start. Maybe at the very beginning...In 1881 Mathias Gedney began his own pickle company. Since then six generations of his family have continued his quest for excellence. But it's when Gedney meets Vicky that this story takes a special turn. Vicky Gjerde and her Norwegian Dills. In 1991, the Gedney family started picking winning State Fair pickles. "I've never entered or won in the State Fair before! But everybody in my family loves to can. My husband Mark and I sure love to make pickles (when we're not enjoying country living or commuting to the Cities)...Mark calls these 'dills with attitude.' But really, they're just nice and mellow-hot. They won't burn your tongue off or anything -- even if you're Norwegian, like us." Oh Vicky!

We'll let's just say, when the last Vicky pickle was consumed in our house, I was a bit worried. (As I said to the friend who ate it..."You ate the last Vicky pickle in a pregnant lady's house!") But have no fear...Aimee has come to the rescue. I now have 3 jars, straight from Minnesota. PHEW!

No comments:

Post a Comment