Saturday, January 29, 2005

Addison, June 2004


Addison
Originally uploaded by Car2nGrl.

Dear Parker,

I've been wondering when I should tell you about your cousin, Addison. He's probably one of the bravest little boys in the world and, along with you, one of the cutest. I don't know if you heard him yesterday when we visited him at the hospital. He hasn't been able to vocalize much lately because he's been sick. But luckily, after months of tests, doctors have been able to figure out what's wrong with him. Here's how your Grandma Jan explained it to me and your dad...

"They think they have an actual diagnosis for Addison, SCID (severe combined immunodeficiency) and they think Eric [Addison's dad] is the match for bone marrow donor (all subject to change of course). That means that if Eric can't do it for some reason, he has 4 brothers [including your dad] to call on. SCID occurs in 1 out of every 50,000-500,000 births and boys have a larger change of getting it than girls (1 to 3). It is caused by more than 20 genetic mutations resulting in dysfunction of B and T cells. Any virus or bacteria can be the end of him, but hopefully he will get well enough to have the transplant of bone marrow and that should be 80% successful."

However, we've heard that there may be an even better way to help little Addison and it involves you. See, when you're born we'll not only be able to finally hold you in our arms but we'll get a chance to harvest what's called "cord blood" from the umbilical cord that joins us. That blood is a special because it contains stem cells, which can be used to help you if you're ever sick in the future. I'm sure you won't mind but we've asked Addison's dad to check with the doctors to see if your cord blood can also help Addison, too. Just think of all the good you can do...and all within your first minutes of life. (Momma's little over-achiever!)

I will let you know more when we hear back from your Uncle Eric. In the mean time, I wanted you to get a look at Addison. I was going to attach a picture of Addison that I took at the hospital yesterday; but instead, I've decided to share one that I took last Father's Day...before he started feeling under the weather because I know that's the Addison you'll grow up with.

Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment