Monday, August 01, 2005

That Darn Cat


I knew things weren't looking good when the vet asked me to come into the exam room. Silly's lab results didn't improve and it didn't look like they would. Knowing this, I sadly made the decision to put her out of her misery. Before the end, the vet let me spend some time with her. Petting all her favorite spots -- around the eyes, her ears, down her back -- she receptively raised her head and sat up a bit. Seeing this, I guess I was hoping the vet would suddenly exclaim that he couldn't believe it but she's been mirculously healed. However, I wasn't that lucky. Silly left us shortly afterward.

Silly was found when they were building the sets for "V.R. Troopers" in early 1994. Even though I wasn't a "cat person", I adopted her, rather than let her go to the pound. Silly wasn't an overly cuddly cat but everyone loved her. She even won over my mom who, in her signature staccato cadence, lovingly called her "That Darn Cat" (after the Disney movie). By day, she loved lounging in a sunny window. By night, she loved to sleep right between me and Chris in our bed. She was a perfect cat who I'll always miss. I can't imagine ever having another..unless, of course, Parker wants one in the future.


By the way, on a somewhat related note...If you're buying someone chocolates for their birthday, I don't recommend buying them a week in advance. You'll only end up buying more to replace the initial box you ate.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm so sorry you had to let Silly go. It's hard to do, but you know she's better off.

    I know it's not your birthday you're referring to, but I can do chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad.

    Silly was a wonderful cat and we loved how when we'd come over she would "talk" to us (presumably thinking, "I'll fool these other humans into giving me treats!). We'll miss her, too. But, it is good that her last moments were with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely miss Silly. I always was looking for her when we would go over to your house. I remember seeing those B&W pictures of her over your piano the last time we were there. I wish I could've said goodbye to her as well.

    ReplyDelete