Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Hybrid Option

So, since Chris was still ''in town'' after Parker's check-up, we decided to check out the Ford Escape Hybrid.

Overall, I think the Escape was fine...better than the Rogue. From the outside it seemed big (by my standards) but driving it it was manageable. The idea of owning a hybrid intrigues me but not sure how relevant it is based on my normal driving needs -- dominated by mountain/highway driving. Of all the cars I've seen so far, the Escape is the most expensive and I'm not sure it's worth the money. Interior-wise, it's very basic which doesn't provide any boost to the mentally perceived value.

So here's another car for the notebook. I also got the stats on Saturn's VUE hybrid, which is more in line with the pricing CR-V pricing. The curious thing about the VUE is that it doesn't ''reverse'' mileage stats that you see with other hybrids (higher city mpg than highway). Weird. Something I'll have to ask the dealer if we decide to actually check the VUE out in person:


2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
Base 4dr Front-wheel Drive

2008 Saturn VUE Green Line
4-Cyl Base Front-wheel Drive
Overview
MSRP * $26,505
$24,170
Invoice * $24,879
$22,719
Engine 2.3L I-4 133 HP
2.4L I-4 172 HP
Transmission 2-spd CVT w/OD
4-spd auto w/OD
Fuel Economy City 34.0 mpg
25 mpg
Fuel Economy Highway 30.0 mpg
32 mpg
Bumper to Bumper Warranty (months/miles) 36/36,000
36/36,000

Once again, the CR-V is still at the top of the list but I want to check out the Saturn. (Yes, I know this aggrivates Chris. If it makes him feel any better, though, I've decided to take the Subaru out of the picture as I haven't seen one on the street that I like.)

Once again, holler with your car opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment