Saturday, October 11, 2008

Where has he been hiding?

This is the McCain that I use to admire. Willing to stand up and say what was right. Not just go along with an angry mob and ride an easy wave of anger, fear, and racism. Of course, has this McCain returned to the scene too late?

After the debates, people criticized Obama for being too complementary of McCain. However, I think of it as being diplomatic. If you can't find good points in your opponent's statements, you can't find middle ground for compromise and, in this day and age, we need someone to bring us together. Not someone who's going to lean on our fears of "the other" to pry this nation apart.

In case the video goes away, here's an article that covers the gist of the video from The Huffington Post...

John McCain was booed by his own supporters during a rally on Friday after he described Barack Obama as a ''decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared of as president of the United States.''

McCain was responding to a town hall attendee who claimed he was concerned about raising a child under a president who ''cohorts with domestic terrorists such as [Bill] Ayers.'' Despite the fact that McCain and his campaign have repeatedly used Ayers to hammer Obama in recent days, the Arizona Senator tried to calm the man.

''[Senator Obama] is a decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared about as President of the United States,'' he said, before adding: ''If I didn't think I would be one heck of a better president I wouldn't be running.''

The crowd groaned with disapproval.

Later, McCain was again pressed about Obama's ''other-ness'' and again he refused to play ball. ''I don't trust Obama,'' a woman said. ''I have read about him. He's an Arab.''

''No, ma'am,'' McCain said several times, shaking his head in disagreement. ''He's a decent, family man, [a] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues and that's what this campaign is all about.''

At another point, McCain declared, ''If you want a fight, we will fight. But we will be respectful. I admire Sen. Obama and his accomplishments.'' Supporters booed then also. ''I don't mean that has to reduce your ferocity,'' McCain responded. ''I just mean to say you have to be respectful.''

You can read more here.

1 comment:

  1. Jeesh..you'd think people in Lakeville are racist idiots by what happened at that Town hall. Really makes MN look bad. I applaud McCain for what he said and the way he said it. I actually like McCain...just not for president.

    ReplyDelete