Sunday, April 06, 2008

Death Valley Birthdaze - Sunday

OcotilloOn the roadHitting BottomHitting the Dunes
The next day we head out for the Valley floor. On the way, Chris keep seeing this red flower and we eventually had to stop to he could check it out up close. From what I can tell, it's called the Ocotillo, a.k.a. Chris' obsession. At Stovepipe Wells we hit sea level. Soon after that we hit the desert's sand dunes.

Standing TallValley ViewNative Little PeopleParker and Erin
SandErin, Parker, and MattDune PatrolMatt, Aimee, and Cat
We soon discovered that sand was too hot for the puppies feet. So Robin and Chris took them back to the cars as the rest of us explored the miles and miles of sand. Aimee laid on the ground to take a picture of Nick. But my shot of her looks like she's taking a picture of a 10 inch person. Go figure.

Harmony Borax Works20 Mule TeamErin at HarmonyGo West!
After the dunes, we checked out the Harmony Borax Works. Am I the only person who remember Borax...that powdery soap dispensed out of public restrooms? Well, Aimee, Matt, and Erin weren't aware of it so either I'm way old or I spend too much time in public restrooms. Neither seem to be good options.

Bad ParkerBadwaterWalking the flatsSalty Mud
Last stop was the Valley's lowest point...Badwater. It's the hottest point in the valley and yet there's water just inches below our feet. Seeing that we were standing on a salt flat, though, you can easily see how Badwater got it's name.

2 comments:

  1. I remember Borax but I didn't realize that was the powdered soap in public restrooms. How did you know it was Borax? If you put the powder under a microscope would you be able to see the logo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the soap we dispensed in my Dad's hardware store so I guess I have bonus insider knowledge.

    ReplyDelete