Friday, September 26, 2008

The First Debate

Yes, it did finally happen. Here are a few of my high points from the debate:

Obama: ''John mentioned me being 'wildly liberal', mostly that's just me opposing George Bush's wrong-headed policies...''

So what's so wrong with being labeled ''liberal.'' I'm really tired if it being considered a dirty word. It's just a point of view...like ''conservative.'' Anyway, is there anyone who's 100% liberal or conservative? I doubt that. I think all people are liberal on some issues and conservative on others.

McCain: ''How about a spending freeze on everything but defense, veteran affairs, and entitlements?...''
Obama: ''The problem with a spending freeze is that you're using a hatchet when you need a scalpel.''


I guess I have to wonder what's considered an entitlement? Also, I think some of the worst spending offenses can be found in the Defense Department so it's curious that that would be considered a priority. Especially when we have natural disasters devastating towns and cities and man-made disasters based on a crumbling infrastructure. If we should be focusing on ''Country first'' then we should be applying that to our spending priorities. Focus on what needs to be done at home. If there's money still left over, then we can channel those funds overseas.

Obama: ''John, you like to pretend that the war started in 2007.''

Nice.

Obama: ''Jim, let me just make a point. I've got a bracelet, too.''

What's with all this jewelry? Over 4000 soldiers have died in Iraq. Can you image if Bush had to wear a bracelet for each of those sacrificed soldiers?

BTW, where's McCain's flag pin?

On an unrelated note, where did Jim Lehrer's lips go?

McCain: ''I have proposed a League of Democracies. A group of countries that share common interests, common values, common ideals and they also control a lot of the world's economic power.''

Sounds like the Justice League. I know who wants to be Wonder Woman! (Yes, I'm looking at you, Thommy.)

''Walk the walk and talk the talk.''

I just thought it was interesting that both men used the same phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment