Monday, October 15, 2007

Chris, You Will Be Missed

So with the launch of the ABCNewsStore at work, we had to bring in a temp to help us test the new store. Things have been going well. The site's now launched and the job should be pretty much wrapping up shortly. Last Thursday, Chris had to go to the DMV and then interview someone (he's a writer); so he took the day off. Curiously, he didn't show up to work on Friday. Weird. We called his temp agency to check in on him but nothing. Odd.

This morning I get a call, asking if I know Chris. Yes. Then informing me that he collapsed in the lobby of their building on Friday. He passed away over the weekend and now the coroner is looking for his next of kin. What?! Who is this? How did you get this number? This isn't funny.

Well, it wasn't a joke. The building happened to have Disney tenants and they were able to use his temp access badge to find me. I wish they could have found me sooner. How awful! It makes me sad that his family couldn't be with him before he left this world.

Chris hasn't been with us long but it's amazing how much of an impression a person can make. I can't help thinking of the things he left unfinished -- his blogs/mogs, a book he was ghost-writing, his computer was just fixed (is it still in the shop?), he was learning German for her girlfriend (She's in Germany, has someone contacted her?), etc. Hell, he was only 35. It just seems too soon.

Looking at Chris' blogs, I can't help but smile when I see things like a mention of his job interview with us...I got a call with an offer for another gig over at one of the major studios to expedite this Web-related project which, although won't last as long as the law firm editing gig, would pay a grip more $crilla than I would've if I were working with that fancy-pantsed lot down in the finance district...a couple of minutes ago I got the call back and ...I'm in there, son! I start on Monday...The ladies who interviewed me were much more laid back than those two twitchy tossers with the sticks in their keysters and we got right down to brass tacks without all of that alpha male posturing...it was refreshing...I just shot on over to the lot and acted like myself, no fuss no muss (and yes, I wore the Blerd glasses again).



A couple of weeks later, he blogs again from his desk......pardon the Obi Wan-Darth Maul, Jedi look but the A/C in this building is boomin’ and it’s colder ‘n a witch’s titty where I’m sittin’...never knew there was an Arctic Circle setting on that thing, so I’ve been rockin’ a hoodie while at my desk...too, I’ve been on the phone waiting for the last half hour while the IT guy sorts out my email clearances and such shite...so, in the interim, I’ve been cleaning out the desk of whomever was in this office space before me to keep my teeth from chattering...apparently it was a chick...who liked seafood..I found this magnet and an old compact in the bottom drawer of one of the cabinets...kinda funny, it made me think of Fred Schneider’s words of wisdom when starting at a new workplace...watch out for them piranhas, y’all...BTW, MOG ’s eating posts done in FireFox today but Safari’s working like a charm...so don’t be a crab if your post gets pinched…roger, over…check your vector, Victor…CP, out.

I feel I should reply to this entry as I was the one to clear out Chris' desk; however, I can't figure out how to do it just yet. So I'll list the contents here: ear buds, a "Di Vinci Code" mug, a notepad with scribble about the work needed on his computer, a shirt (he biked to work so I guess it something to wear if he got too schvitzy), and the hoodie mentioned above. That's it.

I asked Aimee, the resident Ghost Whisperer, if he was still hanging around work but she has yet to see him. Good. I hope he's moved on to better things.
Even though I didn't know you for long, Chris; you will be missed.

Check out Chris' blog and mog -- he interviewed a lot of interesting people and loved music.

No comments:

Post a Comment